Submission of Ballot Arguments for Inclusion in the Voter Information Pamphlet for the March 3, 2020, Consolidated Presidential Primary Election
Department of Elections
City and County of San Francisco
John Arntz, Director
For Immediate Release
SAN FRANCISCO, Wednesday, December 11, 2019 – Arguments for or against local ballot measures to be voted on in the March 3 election may be submitted to the Department of Elections for inclusion in the Voter Information Pamphlet.
The argument submission deadlines are as follows:
- Proponent or Opponent Arguments – noon on Thursday, December 12
- Rebuttals to Proponent or Opponent Arguments – noon on Monday, December 16
- Paid Arguments (City and County measures only) – noon on Monday, December 16
All ballot arguments must be submitted to the Department of Elections in person, with original signatures. To facilitate compilation of the Voter Information Pamphlet, submitters are encouraged to send an electronic copy of the text of each argument via email to email@example.com.
All ballot arguments are subject to a 10-day public examination period. These public examination periods allow an opportunity to review and possibly challenge the language of a proposed ballot argument before it is published in the Voter Information Pamphlet. During each 10-day public examination period, voters may seek a court order requiring changes to or removal of materials related to a ballot measure on which they are eligible to vote. Challenges must be filed no later than the end of the examination period.
The 10-day public examination periods for ballot arguments are as follows:
- Proponents’ and Opponents’ Arguments – noon on Friday, December 13, until noon on Monday, December 23
- Rebuttals to Proponents’ and Opponents’ Arguments – noon on Tuesday, December 17, until noon on Friday, December 27
- Paid Arguments – noon on Tuesday, December 17, until noon on Friday, December 27
Further information about the March 3 election is available at sfelections.org or by contacting the Department of Elections at (415) 554-4375.